Extracted from one of our Publications:
"Grafton and the Early Days on the Clarence"
THE STORY OF THE MYLNE BROTHERS
These brothers were John, James and Thomas who were friends of Dr. Dobie and the Ogilvies. James had served as a subaltern in the Indian Army. They took up their run in 1839 along the river, eight miles above the “Settlement” and were hailed as good fellows and most hospitable to those fortunate in making their acquaintance - the order of the day being to “Eat and Swill” at the festive board and from this the name “Eatonswill” became the name of the property.
Richard Craig was responsible for bringing the first cattle to Eatonswill for the Mylnes, who later did their part in improving the cattle and horse stock on the Clarence, one of the blood horses being “Splendora” whose progeny established a turf reputation.
After several years of hard graft and success John and Thomas Mylne took a trip to England to have a holiday and to bring back with them their two sisters to their Clarence home. James remained in the colony, but Mr C. Shannon managed the property - another brother came from India to join in the welcome - the homestead was decorated and servants had been engaged to prepare for the homecoming. When word was received of the wreck of the “Dunbar” on August 21, 1857 and John and Thomas Mylne and their two sisters were among the 400 souls who perished, this created a great sadness on the station and shortly afterwards James left for England, but died on the passage near Malta.