Cathedral

Timeline Links

Present Cathedral completed in 1884. Crn. Victoria and Duke Streets Grafton

Extracted from one of our Publications:

"Grafton and the Early Days on the Clarence"

THE CATHEDRAL

The present Cathedral was commenced and the foundation stone laid in June 1874. The work on the sanctuary chancel and nave was completed in 1884. It then replaced the old wooden church built in 1854.

It now carries an A classification from the National Trust. The architect was Mr J. Horbury Hunt and the style was gothic of the Middle Ages in Italy. The foundations are of massive stone and the building itself of red brick. The nave and west door were completed in 1937.

The Deanery erected in the 1850s also carry a National Trust classification.

 

 Clarence River Historical Society Inc. PO Box 396, Grafton, NSW 2460

|Home| |About Us| |Research| |Publications| |Newsletter| |Links| |Membership| |Timeline| |Contact Us|